Welcome to Pathway Partners Mentor Resource Page!
Principles to keep in mind when working with young people:
- Remember-- "aim low, go slow, think small and celebrate success"
- Teach cognitive slogans...."first things first" "one day at a time" "easy does it"
- Be the holder of a sense of hope.
- Celebrate small successes.
- Take the lead and persist even when the student appears disinterested.
- Softly challenge inappropriate behavior and negative attitudes.
- Focus on the young person's strengths.
- Be a partner with your young person's family.
- Help them take a personal look at their behavior as it affects others.
- Remember as a mentor-- you are not responsible for others, you cannot control another person's behaviors, feelings, or decisions.
- You are your student's connector. You connect to this student through unconditional acceptance. There are no strings attached.
- You are another positive role model who works together with parents/guardians, teachers, resource counselors, and the Pathway Partners director in the best interest of your student mentee.