PBIS stands for Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports. PBIS is a proactive approach to establishing the behavioral supports and social culture that is needed for all students in a school to achieve social, emotional and academic success.
Our core values are: Respect, Responsibility, Honesty.
- Teaching positive and acceptable behaviors
- Being proactive rather than reactive
- Using data to track behaviors and meet goals
- Creating consistent expectations and language throughout the school
- Reinforcing expectations through PBIS, students take ownership of making the Marshfield Middle School a wonderful place of learning
- Top Cat - Teacher nominated weekly, 1 student from each team that demonstrates the middle school core values
- Caught In the Act - Weekly recognition for those students “caught” performing a positive act during the school day
- Postcards – Special recognition by our staff of those students who went “above and beyond” in helping Marshfield Middle School become a great place to learn
- Quarterly Rewards –Each quarter those students who work towards following our PBIS core values are invited to participate in a special reward. Some examples include: guest speakers, color run, movie day, and the Homecoming Hustle
- Perfect Attendance - Yearly Recognition for those students who did not miss one entire day of school
Check-in, Check-out Program (CICO)
- CICO is a PBIS Tier 2 intervention program for students who may need more positive adult attention and structured feedback to be successful in school. It is very important that this is a positive experience for the student to help encourage them to make good choices.
- Goals of CICO – 1) Improve student engagement, 2) Reduce office referrals, 3) Improve academic success
- Student Cohorts – Each quarter a new cohort of students is selected to participate in CICO. Please note that students can opt-out of the program.
- Student Requirements –
- Pick up Tally Sheet every morning in the lobby.
- Have each teacher fill out and initial tally sheet (each hour every day)
- At the end of the day drop off tally sheet in the Main Office and pick up a piece of candy.
- Each student who turns in their sheet every day of the week will receive some special recognition from a school administrator or PBIS Team member.
- Staff Involvement –
- Greet the student warmly when they give you their CICO rating sheet.
- Sometime during the class period circle the rating scores, initial the sheet and give back to the student. Give a positive compliment or statement to the student when returning the slip.
- At the end of the day, each CICO student will turn in their slips to the office and receive a piece of candy as incentive to turn in their slips.
- Data Collection – Tally sheets for each student will be tracked on a digital log. At the end of the quarter we will compare student data (discipline referrals, grades, attendance) from quarters 1 & 2 with quarter 3 to see if there was improvement.
PBIS STUDENT VIDEOS: